Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 17:06:18 EDT
This morning Linda and I walked the trails at Sharon Woods Metro Park for a
change of pace. It was a beautiful morning and the birds were very active.

There were several Green Herons along the streams of the Spring Creek Trail
far from Schrock Lake.

Raptors were represented by Cooper's, Sharp-shinned and Red-tailed  Hawks.

Eastern Phoebes are nesting under the bridge, plus Eastern Kingbirds and
Willow Flycatchers were along the edge of the big open field.

Vireos were represented by Red-eyed, Warbling and White-eyed.

Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were in impressive numbers. This seems to be
consistent wherever I've been this spring.

Thrushes were  conspicuously absent with the exception of American  Robins.
Not even an Eastern Bluebird was to be found.

The mimics were all present. We observed 11 Brown Thrashers, 4 Northern
Mockingbirds and so many Gray Catbirds that we didn't count them.

Warblers weren't impressive in numbers, but they made up for it in
cooperation. With a little phishing they were coming right to us. Species  observed
included Northern Parula, Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Yellow-rumped,  Black-throated
Green, Yellow-throated, Palm, and Black and White Warblers.  Several Ovenbirds
and a Yellow-breasted Chat were heard but we weren't able  to spot them.

We located 5 male Scarlet Tanagers, three in the same tree, looking  splendid
in their bright red and black plumage.

There were Eastern Towhees about and a nice group of White-crowned  Sparrows.
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were found at several locations along the  trail.

Both Orchard and Baltimore Orioles were located, mostly near Schrock  Lake.

Charlie Bombaci

favorites at AOL Food.