From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 08:38:27 -0400
This morning at about 7:30 I was coming in to school and decided to check
the trees outside (to the south) of the medical school (Meiling Hall), which
often bring in a good number and variety of migrants (always to my
surprise...it's just a quarter acre or so of trees in the middle of
buildings, busy roads, parking garages, and plenty of people bustling
around).  First thing that caught my eye was a warbler that flew up from
some bushes into a maple tree, and turns out it was a male Mourning
Warbler.  I got great looks at him, watching him for several minutes (he
spent most of his time at the top of that maple tree).  I also quickly found
a lot of his traveling buddies.  Pretty good little flock of migrants out
there this morning:

Mourning Warbler (m)
Common Yellowthroat (m & f)
Magnolia Warbler (m)
American Redstart (m)
Nashville Warbler (m)
Swainson's Thrush (2)
Scarlet Tanager (m)

plus the resident Catbirds, Chipping Sparrows, Goldfinches, Cardinals,
Robin, Starlings, and House Sparrows

If you're interested, put "Medical Center Dr & W 9th Ave, Columbus, OH" into
Google Maps and it will put you right at the corner of the group of trees
I'm talking about.

Have a great day!

-Nate Nye