From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 08:58:48 -0400
I'm not sure what Mr. Rossford is talking about. Blendon Woods is, and to my
knowledge always has been, very accommodating and welcoming to birders,
especially those new to birding. The staff I've dealt with are courteous and
the naturalists, especially Bruce Simpson, will go out of their way to
direct you to a good bird. So, out-of-town birders, please ignore this odd
post and continue to visit this lovely and very birdy metropark. I think
that as long as you stay out of areas that are reserved for group picnics
and stick to the trails, you'll never have a problem.

Yesterday at Blendon, I had great looks at a Swainson's Thrush on the trail
out to Thoreau Lake - it kept walking down the trail in front of me. I never
truly appreciated how small a thrush this species is until yesterday. I only
spent about a half-hour, but had a good walk with a beginning birder and we
saw/heard  some Yellow-rumped Warblers, Hooded Warbler, Redstart, Hooded
Warbler, Yellow Warbler, and Northern Parula. I ran into one of the
naturalists coming into work on my way out, and was not "harassed and hazed"
but greeted with a smile.

Good birding,
Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio.