Date:
Sat, 10 May 2008 20:53:52 EDT
Linda and I decided to go south today, whereas the birds and many birders
are heading north. Somehow I managed not to get to Clear Creek Metro Park in
2007, a situation which just could not be tolerated two years in a row. The
weather was perfect, the park beautiful and the birds mostly cooperative.
Somehow they know when I don't have my camera. They pose and taunt me. Linda and  I
put up with that because they were coming in extremely close and really
putting on a show for us.

Areas we covered included sections of Clear Creek Road, the Creekside  Meadow
Trail, the Hemlock Trail and the Prairie Warbler Trail. Activity started  as
soon as we arrived and was still very active when we had to leave in the late
afternoon. There seemed to be Hooded Warblers everywhere and most came  close
with one landing within 5 feet of us. It was the first and last species we
observed today.

Birds for the day along with the more common species included:
Black Vulture    (2)
Red-shouldered Hawk    (1)
Spotted Sandpiper    (2)
Pileated Woodpecker    (2)
Eastern Wood-Pewee    (5)
Great Crested Flycatcher    (4)
White-eyed Vireo    (7)
Yellow-throated Vireo    (4)
Blue-headed Vireo    (2)
Red-eyed Vireo    (20+)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow    (many)
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher        (many)
Veery    (4)
Gray-checked Thrush    (3)
Swainson's Thrush    (2)
Wood Thrush    (5)
Gray Catbird    (many)
Brown Thrasher    (2)
Blue-winged Warbler    (7)
Orange-crowned Warbler    (1)
Nashville Warbler    (2)
Northern Parula    (6)
Yellow Warbler    (17)
Chestnut-sided Warbler    (3)
Magnolia Warbler    (1)
Yellow-rumped Warbler    (1)
Black-throated Green Warbler    (2)
Blackburnian Warbler    (1)
Yellow-throated Warbler    (2)
Prairie Warbler    (5)
Palm Warbler    (2)
Cerulean Warbler    (heard numerous between Fern Picnic  Area and Creekside
Meadows Picnic Area, saw 1 due to foliage)
American Redstart    (31)
Worm-eating Warbler    (1)
Ovenbird    (5)
Louisiana Waterthrush    (6)