From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2008 15:10:51 -0400
Hi all,

Had a good time up at Magee Marsh yesterday. The number of birders in the
area for International Migratory Bird Day was unbelievable. Seemed like it
must have been a record turnout, and I saw license plates from many other
states. As others have noted, the songbird migration was a bit slow, but I
still managed to scratch together a decent list even if the numbers were
low.

In addition to the White-faced Ibis mentioned by Gabe Leidy in a previous
post, many observers had another individual of this species on the far north
side of the Ottawa refuge, in the area where Gabe described the American
Bitterns as being. This ibis was much brighter about the face than the other
bird, with its prominent white border around the bright pink facial skin
really jumping out, even from afar. The five bitterns also put on quite a
show, chasing each other about the marsh and delivering their odd pump-like
calls.

Everywhere I went, rails were in evidence. Primarily Sora, but also a fair
number of Virginia Rails. One just has to listen for their distinctive
calls. I also heard/saw a number of Common Moorhens. There was a King Rail
vocalizing conspicuously at Mallard Club Marsh, which is between Maumee Bay
State Park and Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge. This is a great area for
various marsh birds. Walking the main north-south dike which is just north
and a bit east of the westernmost parking lot off Cedar Point Road is a good
way to look and listen for birds. There are often American and Least
Bitterns present, too.

For more info on Mallard Club Marsh, visit:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=15

Jim

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio