From:
Laura Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 12:40:41 -0400
Another great 4 day Mother’s Day escape to Magee Marsh with my best friend
Cathy! The highlight this year was the Auto Tour at Ottawa NWR on Saturday.
Along the south road was a traffic jam with lots of spectators with
spotting scopes, always a good sign. There were reports of the White-Faced
Ibis in the southwest corner of the field. The field was full of Dunlin,
many very close to the road and several Dowitcher far out in the field
along with Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and various sandpipers which
startled and flew when a Red-Tailed Hawk appeared. With help from a group
of Amish enthusiasts, we finally spotted the Wilson’s Phalarope. The Ibis
made two flights, the first of which brought him closer for a good look
through the spotting scopes and photos, then he retreated to the southeast
area of the field. The most exciting part was yet to come, when the Dunlin
and Dowitcher suddenly took frantic flight, and someone called “PEREGRINE”!
I took my nose out of my camera just in time to see an adult Peregrine
Falcon rocket from the sky and pull out of the dive through a flock of
Dunlin.  To my vegetarian friend’s delight, he came up empty on his hunt.

Laura Keene
Mason, Oh
“Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult”