From:
Glenn Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 18:46:38 -0400
To All

    Bob Welch here, thought you might like to hear an interesting story about two Carolina Wrens that found and unusual place to nest.  The new house where Judie and I are trying to get moved into has a screened in porch, however in one corner the screen has become detached.  About a month ago we observed a nest that was built on the inside of the porch between two stringers that supported the roof rafters and a board that went between the stringers to strengthen the porch.  Yesterday we were at the house and Judie saw a little bird sitting on a pile of cut wood we had stored on the porch.  When I first observed the bird I thought it might be a Marsh Wren, they way it had it feathers puffed up.  Later in the afternoon when they were a little more active, feeding the little ones, I realized it was a pair or Carolina Wrens.  I did get several pictures of them, one feeding and of the nest.  I know it's not unusual to have wrens nesting on one's property, but I thought where they nested in this case to be a bit different.  I  also have a Gray Catbird come into the feeding area.  He appears to be feeding on suet knock down to the ground from the suet feeders.  So far I have observed 40 species of birds this year at the Ranch .

Bob and Judie Welch
In Darke County from The Ranch