Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 14:47:36 EDT
After five days stuck indoors with a pulled back muscle cabin fever begins
to get to you. Today Linda got me out for the sake of sanity. We went to the
Old  Sunbury Road section of the Hoover Nature Preserve to check on my
Prothonotary  Warbler Nest boxes. Observation only, no wading to the nest boxes. From
the  south entrance to the trail to the second old bridge at the north we
located 15  singing male Prothonotary Warblers and we observed females bringing
nest  materials to 2 of the boxes. The 2 sites with females constructing  nests
were duly recorded as "active nest sites". I've now made the  first monitoring
check at 4 of my 14 nest box areas and I have confirmed 24  active nest sites
and 58 males on territory. Hopefully the other 34  territories will be
eventually confirmed as nest sites. Next week, weather  permitting, I will try to get
to the other 10 areas to check for activity.

While walking along the old road bed on the east shore Linda and I had some
other notable observations this morning including 3 species of  terns,
multiple species of warblers and some additional enjoyable  observations. Species
observed, in part, included:

** = Evidence of nesting

  Double-crested Cormorant    (approximately 200  immature's near Pelican
Island)
  Caspian Tern    (5)
  Common Tern    (11)
  Black Tern    (6)