From:
Matt Vosniak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Vosniak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 21:47:04 -0400
Hey all,

I spent a couple hours this afternoon checking out the area people have
been calling the Lorain Impoundment this afternoon.  I'm not the best at
keeping a running tally but I saw some pretty good stuff.  Besides the
hundreds of varying types of swallows flying around there also was lots of
warblers in the trees along the lake and in the woodsy area at the extreme
northern point.  If you park behind the Spitzer Marina and walk the fence
line of the boat docks and go into the woods down there that's where I saw
the majority of the birds.  I got in there and did a little pishing and
birds were everywhere.  I definitely saw Black-Throated Blue, both male
and female Redstart, Yellow warbler, and a bunch of others I couldn't id
cause the birds were badly back lit and I couldn't stay to really check.
The one warbler that dominated though was prothonotory.  I must have saw
at least 8.  I am hoping based on the terrain here that some will stay and
nest because the habitat seems correct.  There is also some awesome
shorebird habitat all over the place here.  I saw 4 Dunlin, many spotted
sandpipers, one semi-palmated plover, and tons of killdeer.  There were
also a group of Caspian terns here sitting with the ring-billed gulls.  I
can't confirm but I am pretty sure based on the photos and descriptions in
the bird books I saw a Philadelphia Vireo in one of the trees along the
rocks on the lakes edge.  I have never seen one before so I'm not 100%
sure but that's the only thing that it looked like to me.  Lastly in one
of the ponds there was a female Ruddy duck and a female Bufflehead that
were nice surprises. If you can't make it to Magee this area may make for
a nice second option.

Take Care,

Matt Vosniak