From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 15:10:28 -0700
Greetings---A small wetland along Calla Rd. in NW Beaver Twp. (Mahoning Co.) had a pair of WILSON'S PHALAROPES this afternoon.  Also in this area were 2 solitary sandpipers, 14 least sandpipers, and a short-billed dowitcher.  Just east of here at the Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary were blue-winged teal, 3 great egrets, 8 semipalmated plovers, 50 least sandpipers, dunlin, purple martin, brown thrasher, and indigo bunting.  At the south end of L. Milton I found double-crested cormorant, osprey (on nest), red-headed woodpecker, white-eyed vireo, and cliff swallows.  At the Rte. 224 causeway at Berlin Res. were many swallows including banks and cliffs.  The water at Milton and Berlin is very high, so no shorebird potential there this month.  Swinging back east, at the south end of Pine L. were semipalmated plover and 2 more solitary sandpipers.  Last but definitely not least, I saw a pair of hooded mergansers resting on a log in the Mahoning River in Lowellville--the first
 possible nesting pair I've ever seen on this stretch of the formerly too-polluted stretch of the river downstream of Youngstown.  Very encouraging!!  Later, Craig