Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 18:40:24 EDT
This morning and half the afternoon I got to play the part of a white lab
rat (medical tests). When I escaped from the maize and got home I needed to
unwind. I didn’t get out until 3 PM so I went to monitor my nest boxes at Mudhen
Marsh in the Hoover Nature Preserve. Prothonotary Warblers are the world’s
best  placebo. I located 8 males and 5 females. I was also able to identify the
nest  sites for 4 pairs.

Other species worth mentioning included a pair of Great Crested Flycatchers
nesting in the same cavity for the fourth year in a row, Red-headed
Woodpeckers,  Swainson’s Thrushes, Louisiana Waterthrush, American Redstarts, a few
Yellow-rumped Warblers, a male Blackpoll Warbler, and the surprise of the
afternoon, 2 Willets resting on the water’s edge.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

favorites at AOL Food.