From:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 20:32:49 -0400
I went to the Lorain Impoundment yesterday morning hoping to see a
few migrants before all the
Sunday kid's sports obligations.

This is a pretty interesting site, The wind was really howling from
across the lake which worked against me but I managed to see
a few warblers. There are a lot of yellow warblers there and a few
common yellow throats. I would guess both species nest there.
There were more swallows there than I have ever seen in one place.
Barn and rough wings were everywhere.
I got a close up look at an eastern kingbird and a Baltimore oriole.
There were a lot of cormorants and great blue herons.
I did not see any other waders or sandpipers at all in the ponds.

I think it would not be safe for solitary women to bird this site.
There were a few strange men stomping through the weeds and they
were not carrying binoculars. They looked like they might be sleeping
there. It is isolated and  the vegetation is tall. If you go bring a
friend.
That probably would be a good idea just about anywhere now
considering what has happened in two parks in the past few weeks.

Last night I heard my first nighthawk of the year over Avon Lake.

The barred owls are still around even though a neighboring homeowner
cut down several close by trees on the lot.

Terry