From:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2008 17:13:49 -0400
I birded at Taylorsville MetroPark in northern Montgomery County this
morning.  This park is on US 40 a couple miles east of Interstate 75.  I
parked by the west end of Taylorsville Dam at about 8:30 and walked the
bike path north.
I was happy to find a singing male Connecticut Warbler just 50 yards
north of the parking area.  It was skulking low in the brush along the
old Miami and Erie Canal which parallels the path on the east side.  I
heard another Connecticut singing a slightly different tune about 200
yards farther north, and was able to get good looks at him as well.

A few hundred yards farther on the right, there is a gravel lane that
takes you out of the woods to a leased farm field on conservancy land.
I saw 2 birds flying over the fallow section of the field, and when they
landed I was able to see they were both Lark Sparrows.  They were hard
to see while they were hugging the ground in the weedy field, but one
eventually flew up and landed in a tree at the edge of the woods to give
me a better look.

I also heard 2 Prothonotary Warblers singing down by the Great Miami
River once I got up to Tadmor.

I had 16 warblers for the day, plus great looks at Scarlet Tanagers,
Acadian Flycatcher, Philadelphia Vireo and Swainson's Thrushes.

Brian Menker
Dayton/Springfield

Checked by AVG.
5/20/2008 6:45 AM