From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 20:50:50 -0400
Yesterday I took a walk around Lazelle Woods.  The Eastern Phoebe
nestlings are getting big.  They'll probable fledge any day now.
Anyway I saw two Chestnut-Sided Warblers (male and female) engaged in what
looked to me like some kind of courtship ritual.  The male was strutting
on a branch fanning his tail feathers while the female watched.  I also
saw a male/female pair of American Redstarts.  Do either of these species
breed in Central Ohio?
Today after work I was going to go back to Lazelle Woods to check on the
warblers but had a last minute change of plans.  I went to Antrim Park
instead and walked the trail along the Olentangy River behind the lake.
The bank is undercut in several places and caving in.  Within a couple of
years there probably won't be a trail there.
Anyway there wasn't much activity in the woods but flying over the river
were numerous barn swallows with some northern rough-winged swallows in
the mix.  Two northern kingbirds were sitting on a snag in the river
flying off it when they saw flying insects they thought looked
appetizing.  Across the river was another flycatcher that I couldn't quite
make out because of the distance.
The most numerous species, beleive it or not, was the Cedar Waxwing.  Barn
Swallows came in at a close second.
Near the north rnd of the trail is a low head dam.  Behind the dam the
water is backed up and slow moving/ a perfect place for beavers.  Two of
them were right along the trail.  I came within three or four feet of
them.  When the first one saw me he jumped into the water and slapped it
with his tail.  It was such a deafening noise that I nearly jumped out of
my skin.
A;so seen were Canada Geese, Mallards (one had ducklings), Red-Tailed
Hawk, Turkey Vultures, American robins (one was sitting on her nest),
House Wren, Carolina Wren, etc.