From:
"Bennett, Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bennett, Gregory
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2008 11:30:58 -0400
There is a white domestic goose which hangs around Summit Lake; this is NOT what I'm talking about.  An adult Ross's goose was at the NORTH END of Summit Lake this morning, about 6:30 - 7:30, in the grassy fields with Canadas. I had excellent looks through the scope in great light, very close.  The bird is about half the size of a golf course Canada with a clean, white head and a blue-tinged, vertical-based bill. Why a Ross's goose is in Ohio on Memorial Day weekend, I have no idea. THIS IS NOT A SAFE AREA OF AKRON. Exercise common sense.

The census route, in addition to Summit Lake, includes the area I simply call "Wilbeth Rd" because I park by the softball field on W Wilbeth Rd (OH 764).  The Ohio & Erie Canal runs through the area and there is a beaver pond east of the canal which can be seen from Wilbeth Rd. There are ATV trails through the woods.

Summit Lake Bird Census
5:25 - 8:45 am
Sky: clear Temp: 38-67° F
Hum: 43% Dew pt: 42°F
Wind: ENE 3-6 mph Bar: 30.08 in (falling)

ROSS'S GOOSE - 1
Canada goose - 160
Wood duck - 2
Mallard - 65