From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2008 13:36:14 -0400
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delayed post on this but Big Day activities prevented
computer access until now...

Yesterday morning (5/24) around 8AM, myself, Paul Rodewald, John
Kuenzli, and Steve Landes had solid looks at both RED (1) and
WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS (1) at Oak Openings.  More specifically, the
birds were seen on the west side of Girdham Road in the large conifer
stand just southwest of Girdham's intersection with the
Wabash-Cannonball Trail.  At first, both birds were foraging at the
top of a lone conifer about 50 yards south of the main conifer stand.
We watched the birds for about 5 minutes and then had great looks at
both in flight as they flew north.  We had the birds for another
couple of minutes in the larger stand but eventually lost track of
them.

A Google Map of the location can be found HERE.

To have one crossbill species, let alone both, was certainly not on
our Big Day radar!  In addition to the crossbills, other great scores
at the O.O. were OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER (at the crossbill spot) and a
PINE SISKIN at the nature center feeders.

Good birding!

Aaron Boone
Columbus, OH