From:
Dwight Chasar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2008 15:40:24 -0500
On May 19, David Karam of Peninsula reported to OhioBirds that two peregrine falcons were hanging out at the I-80 turnpike bridge over the Cuyahoga Valley in northern Peninsula, Summit County (41B6SE).  We decided to take a look today, saw the two falcons, and found the nest site by following them.

If one parks on Riverview Road just under the turnpike bridge as David suggested (the new bridge, not the I-271 bridge to the north that is being replaced), one can see where the male spends his time.  The sixth vertical support from the west end of the bridge, whose base pillars are just east of the Cuyahoga River and supports the east bound lanes (south side of bridge) has a drainage pipe that runs down from the bridge deck to the base.  He was sitting at the crook in that pipe but one can see that the pipe hosts a number of whitewash splatters on the diagonal portions.  He sits there because he can look west toward the east-facing side of pillar number five, counting from the west.  That pillar’s base ends between the railroad tracks and the Cuyahoga River.  Pillar five contains the nest site but one cannot see the spot from Riverview Road.

Park at the Boston Store visitor’s center and walk south on the towpath to the bridge.  The base of pillar six is to the right of the towpath.  The nest site is on the east-facing side of pillar five that supports the west bound lanes (therefore the north side of the I-80 bridge).  As one looks up at the underside of the bridge, there are concrete beams that run the length of the bridge.  These beams create “channels”.  Count six channels from the outside to the inside (north to south).  The sixth is the last channel before the east bound lanes begin.  The nest site is on the top ledge of the pillar in the sixth channel.  There is a 2-inch diameter pipe just above the nest site.  She sits so far back on that ledge that even with a scope one cannot see her unless she moves.  We set a scope further uphill to the east to get a better perspective.  We had both birds fly into that spot and she settled in there before we left.  It looks like she is still incubating.  Once there are
  young, one should be able to see activity there.  They are in a pretty secure and dry location, if not quiet.

Thanks David for the tip.  We’ve been waiting for nesting falcons in the valley!

Dwight and Ann Chasar