From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 08:29:38 -0700
Greetings---I got back to a bunch of birding spots I haven't seen for awhile yesterday 27 May.  On the trip northwest I estimated 60 double-crested cormorants at their usual area north of the I-80 bridge over Meander Res. in Mahoning Co.  On to Lorain.  The new version of the impoundment there is far better than I expected; after this summer's seasoning it should be extraordinary from July on.  There are also some real nice pools on the old piers in the harbor west of the Black River, around the old "hot waters" area.  At all the places with good shorebird habitat at Lorain now, you may get quite close to the birds.  Take care to minimize disturbances please.  I've found over the years that by staying in your car and using it as a slow-moving blind, it works best both for birds and birders.  Anyways, at the impoundments were small numbers of shorebirds including semipalmated plovers, spotted sandpipers, semipalmated sandpipers, least sandpiper, dunlins, and short-billed
 dowitchers.  With the cool lake breeze, the swallows put on an impressive show--all 6 species appeared.  A willow flycatcher sang from the interior.  Next I crossed the river and visited the west harbor area.  Out on the abandoned piers, there were a few more common shorebirds plus a late pectoral sandpiper.  A decent number of gulls were roosting, eventually a first-summer GLAUCOUS GULL came in and landed.  It was still hanging around when I left in the early evening.  An imm. great black-backed gull, 100 herring gulls, and 3 Caspian terns were also seen.  At least 200 double-crested cormorants gathered out on the outer breakwall in L. Erie.  I then headed west into Erie Co., checking the Huron River flats @ Rte. 2, the old Cedar Point Chaussee, and Medusa Marsh.  All had high water; no shorebirds.  Of interest were 14 mute swans, great egrets, and marsh wren.  Then southwest to Willow Point WA; more high water.  There were 3 hooded mergansers and a few dunlins.  Into
 Sandusky Co. at Pickerel Creek WA, again I found high water and no shorebirds.  South of here in York Twp. in Sandusky Co. are some massive flooded areas.  Here I found lesser scaup, ruddy duck, great egrets, semipalmated plover, semipalmated sandpipers, 112 dunlins, horned larks, cliff swallow, and many barn swallows.  This area will be worth checking in July.  Later, Craig