From:
Cindy Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cindy Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 11:56:22 -0700
The first Pileated chick left the nest at about 10:15, shortly after the male came in and fed the young.  The dad stretched his wing and held it out for several seconds after feeding, which I've never seen before.  I was fortunate to get a (blurry) photo of the first fledgling flying from the nest.  The first fledgling flew down to a lower branch on a tree in front of the nest cavity, then followed the mother into the woods south of the lake about 15 minutes later.  One male and one female remain in the nest; both stuck their heads out of the cavity after the first male fledged, but the female remained inside the rest of the time I was there (until 2:15) while the remaining male kept its head poking out of the hole most of the time.  The second male is calling to the adults, sometimes has toes on the edge of the hole as if preparing to launch, but as yet has not ventured out.  The adults are calling and trying to encourage him, perching on nearby lower branches. A lot of
 drumming on nearby trees.

  Other birds at SVWA today:
  Wood Duck
  Flicker