From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 17:37:10 EDT
We headed west yesterday afternoon to see if we could find the stilt &
phalaropes at Big Island.  Got there about 4:00, found the area where they  were
seen but could not find the stilt.  But we did see a dozen Wilson's  Phalaropes,
in beautiful breeding plumage.  It's nice for a change to see a  bird species
in which the female is the one who gets all gussied up.  The  water in that
area was pretty low, so there was no "spinning" for their  food.

Ran into both Bob Lane & Dan Sanders, who had been searching the area  for
the stilt but not found it.  We stayed in Marion overnight & went  back to
search some more, still to no avail.  The water levels seemed to be  even lower
than yesterday.  We did see some other shorebirds, including a  very large flock
of Semi-palmated  Sandpipers & Dunlins; also  Semi-palmated Plovers, 1 Spotted
Sandpiper & 1 Pectral Sandpiper

Then headed up to Killdeer Plains & while we ticked 25 species  there, none
were of any significant interest.

Laura & Tim Dornan
Stark County

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.