From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 17:52:01 -0400
This afternoon after the rain stopped and the sun came out I decided to
take a walk around the apartment complex.  Discarded robin's eggshells
were on the ground in a couple of places.  There were three mallard
couples with ducklings, a Canada goose couple with Goslings, and several
robins carrying food home to their nestlings.  Numerous barn swallows and
northern rough-winged swallows were flying around near the creek
seperating this apartment complex from the one immediately east of us.

Then I decided to walk over to Lazelle Woods.  The eastern phoebe is still
sitting pretty on her nest attached to the rec center.  Tree swallows
abounded near the creek seperating the rec center from Park Elementary
School.
Back in the main part of the park I stopped to check the Cooper's hawk
nest.  Mamma Cooper is still on her nest with just her tail feathers
visible.  As I walked away from her nest, I thought I heard a rubber
squeak toy.  I looked back and saw the male Cooper's hawk on his way to
see his mate.
Soaring over the baseball diamond were numerous barn swallows.  I thought
I also saw some northern rough-winged swallows in the mix too.  No purple
martins though.
I didn't see any activity at the red-tailed hawk nest.  She started
nesting before the Cooper's hawk so it seems to me she should have
nestlings by now.  I wonder if she abandoned the nest.
Up in the front of the park the killdeer were making a commotion.  There
were two of them there that I could see.  It's impossible to see the one
that's nesting there now because the grass has grown so much since she
started.

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH