Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 22:06:41 -0400
Howdy all,
???????? So I went to Killdeer Plains Wildlife area, monday (sorry for the late post, I'm lazy and there are no one day wonders involved). I was primarially looking for herps (reptiles amphibians) with a friend of mine, but we watched some birds as well. I saw a Chukar near the sportsman's center/horse stable, who is obviously a released animal, none the less he was entertaining. Down the roard there right past where its closed to cars I had a SEDGE WREN sounding off and saw him too. Also in the area there was a Baltimore Oriole and a Bobolink giving his super cool song. In a patch of woods with a lot of vernal pools in it (corner of? the road thru harpster and where the first sign for KPWA is) we had Wood Thrush, Yellow-throated Vireo, Tennessee Warbler a Kestrel nearby and some other birds. On Washburn Road we had Horned Larks and a female NORTHERN HARRIER.

Yellow Warbler - many
Common Yellowthroat - many
Tennessee Warbler - 2
Blue-winged Warbler - 2
Great Crested Flycatcher - 2
Sedge Wren - 2
House Wrens
Carolina Wrens
Yellow-throated Vireo - 1
White-eyed Vireo - 1`
Baltimore Oriole - 4
E. Meadowlark - 10
Bobolink - 1
Chimney Swifts
Barn Swallows
Tree Swallows
Horned Lark - 10
Killdeer - 6
Greater Yellowlegs - 6
Northern Harrier - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Am. Kestrel - 1
etc.

We saw some good herps too: E. Plains Garter Snake - 7, Smooth Green Snake - 1 (new state snake for me), E. Massasauga Rattlesnake - 1 juvenile, Eastern Garter Snake - 27, N. Brown Snake - 2, N. Leopard Frog, Wood Frog, Gray Treefrogs, Spring Peepers, W. Chorus Frogs, Green Frog, Bull Frog, Triploid Hybrid Ambystomid Salamander- 2, Smallmouth salamander - 3.

??? Good birds to you all,
?????????? - Ben Warner