From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 16:41:47 -0400
That is good news for birds and for birders!  Congratulations to Ohio State
Parks and to ODNR/ODW for what most of us will see as a smart move.

Bill Whan raised a great point about the possibility of "reclaiming" the
parking area for habitat, and Mary's statement that at least part of that
area will be allowed to grow up is welcome news indeed.  I would urge ODNR
to think "outside of the box" to come up with ways to maximize conversion of
parking areas to habitat.  Other great birding areas, such as Point Pelee or
Bentsen SP in Texas, never had close-in parking or have done away with it,
and in the end it's better for birders as well as for birds.  (Exceptions
for handicapped access are appropriate, of course.)

But there's another need here -- the need for birders to support -- and to
encourage -- plans for habitat at the expense of parking.  We cannot be
grumbling because we have to walk for 10 minutes to our favorite birding
spot rather than park at the front door.  Instead, I hope that we will
encourage ODNR to increase habitat, even at the sacrifice of our own
convenience.

Bill Heck

--
Bill Heck