From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 17:10:45 -0400
There was a moderately good fallout along this migrant corridor through east Columbus this morning.  I stopped at Jeffrey Park (in Bexley), Mock Park, and Innis Park (both in Columbus), spending nearly 3 hours total.  The birds seem to have realized it's May, and were coming through in good numbers, many singing.   Highlights included:

Flycatchers - finally more than just Phoebes: Crested Flycatchers (3+ in each park), Least (2+ in each), Acadian (Innis), Willow (Innis), E.Kingbird (Jeffrey)

Vireos - Red-eyed (2-4 in each park), White-eyed (2 Mock, 1 Innis), Warbling (3 Innis), Blue-headed (1 Jeffrey)

Wrens,Kinglets - House Wrens (everywhere), Winter (Jeffrey), Ruby-crowned Kinglets (everywhere, with 3-5 in each park)

Thrushes - Wood (all 3 parks), Hermit (Jeffrey & Innis), Swainsons (Innis), Veery (Innis)

Mimids - Catbirds (common in all 3), BrownThrasher (Jeffrey), Mockingbird (roadside)

Warblers - 15species, with best a BREWSTERS singing at Mock (mostly sang Golden-wing type song, but occasionally threw in a Blue-winged vocalization).  Also had Blue-winged (I), Parula (M), Yellow (all 3), Yellow-throated (all 3), Nashville (common all 3), Tennessee (all 3), Black&White (all 3), Yellow-rumped (still most common, all 3), Palm (all 3), Chesnut-sided (all 3), Blackburnian (M), Black-thr.Green (common, all 3), Ovenbird (2,I), Redstart (I), Com. Yellowthroat (all 3)

Grosbeaks, Buntings - Rose-breasted Grosbeak (2-3 in each park), Indigo Bunting (Jeffrey, Mock)

Sparrows - flocks of White-throats singing in all 3 parks, along with expected Chippings and Songs.

Orioles - only Baltimore, but there were 1-2 in each park

Finches - yet another Purple Finch was singing at Mock, while a Pine Siskin was with a flock of Goldfinches at Jeffrey.

This is one of the more urban stretches of Alum Creek, yet each of these parks has an isolated wild feeling, especially Mock & Innis.  The corridor here will eventually be linked together by a bikepath, but for now we can only get a sampling by visiting the forested areas in these parks.  Innis, particularly, has a startling array of habitats and is one of the hidden gems of the Columbus park system.