OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:21:36 -0400
Darlene Sillick was kind enough to let everyone know about the Photographers' Day over at Highland Metro.

I thought that I would let everyone know  what they missed out on :D.

"Today there was a Photography workshop at Highlands Metro Park in Columbus OH-IO.  Brian Zwiebel was one of the guest speakers of the conference.  The whole day was mainly geared for beginners, but I was able to learn a few things as well.  My daughter came and learned a lot. (I told her to count how many times the speakers mentioned the rule of thirds :D For the record, I think it was seven.)
During one of the photo times they brought out some raptors from the local rescue center.  I was able to get within 3 to 5 feet of some wonderful birds."

 I posted some pics on the OOS forum : http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2254#p2254

I think it was Darlene I talked to today...about posting on the Ohio-birds list serve.  I just want to say that If anyone has an event that is happening in there area that is open to the public, like an Eagle/Falcon/Woodland Bird banding or one of these free workshops where birds are going to be a topic then give a shout out to the rest of us.  While mainly this list is to report on bird sightings, the opportunities that were given to me just this weekend alone is worth the occasional shout out.  And getting within five feet of an American Kestrel, Red Shouldered Hawk, Red Tailed Hawk, Eastern Screech Owl, and Great Horned Owl was an awesome experience.  These nature events are also an opportunity for parents to "infect" their children with the bug of birding. :D  As an aside my 15 year old thinks I'm cool again Darline, Thanks.

Anyhew while there I heard some Phoebes, and then a Chickadee that was pretty well ticked that a Great Horned Owl was in the vicinity. :D  While eating lunch, I saw a Chipping Sparrow and then saw a Chickadee hiding back in a thicket of trees as we were heading back.

Later

Steve Jones
La Rue