OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 21:55:19 -0400
Mary and I headed down to Charlie's Pond this afternoon and were fortunate
enough to meet Jim Frey and a Black Rail.  We saw one (the human) and heard
the other (the bird).

We recognized Jim as we drove up, and the rail was just as recognizable
seconds later as it gave a full three-syllable song as soon just after we
alighted from the car.  A minute later, it called again.

The really interesting part was a series of several songs that started at
2:45 pm.  A single rail called from a location not too far from the road and
about 50 feet to the left of the small pool on the south side of the road.
It called again perhaps 10 feet further to the right.  A few moments later,
another call from just to the right side of the water.  At 2:47, there was a
call a bit farther to the right, and within 30 - 45 seconds another
vocalization from way back near the original bird, i.e., way off to the
left.

It seems just within the bounds of possibility that a single rail could have
called from near the water, then sprinted (in rail terms) back to the left
and called again at least 60 feet away.  (It couldn't have flown between the
two locations, as three of us were watching the area intently and would have
seen any flying bird.)  And rails can indeed move quickly through the
vegetation.  But I am convinced that we heard two different birds.

One slightly disheartening note: someone trampled a small area of vegetation
near the road, apparently in an effort to get closer to the action.  The
edge of the road is mowed with plenty of room to stand; walking into the
vegetation is pretty well guaranteed to make the rails move further into the
thick stuff, thereby decreasing (not increasing) the already slim chance to
see them.  More importantly, going after the birds in this way might just
help send them on their way; it certainly won't make birders popular with
the landowner.

--
Bill Heck