OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:40:41 -0400
Since today marks the beginning "safe date" for the last of the birds except
American goldfinch, I spent 5.5 hours working one of my priority blocks,
59C6NW, also known as Utica 1.

Last week, I heard a yellow-breasted chat adjacent to Stout Tree Farm, so I
called the landowner and got permission to walk the area.  No luck with the
chat, but I did have about 50 species of birds today, nonetheless.

Along with all the "regular suspects" I had:

Grasshopper sparrow - at Stout Tree Farm - a Licking Co. first for me

Cerulean warblers - a pair in a wooded area on Smoketown Road.  These are
not new to Licking Co., having nested at Black Hand Gorge all of the ten
years since I returned to Ohio, and last year Aaron Boone reported seeing a
pair in late June or July in the next block south, but this was quite a
surprise.  Heard first, and had to wait him out before he and the female
made a quick appearance.  Then, he came back into view and sat for a careful
look as he sang within a few feet of the road on a leafless branch.
Couldn't have been a better view!  Interestingly, ceruleans were reported in
the first OBBA 1982-1987, in this block.

Blue grosbeak - needless to say, a new Licking Co. bird for me, as well as
my first in Ohio, despite serious chasing!  What a surprise.  A pair, too,
spotted at the bridge over Lake Fork Road where it and Smoketown Rd run
together for a short distance.  I had been so used to seeing indigo buntings
that I almost didn't recognize it at first - you know, that "Gee, that's a
funny looking indigo bunting" reaction before the realization sets in.

This is getting to be too much fun!  I wonder what more surprises are in
store.  Stay tuned, or better yet, get out there and find some surprises
yourself.  For me, this all started last year on Brad Sparks' blockbusting
weekend in southern Ohio when my partner for the day and I stumbled on four
yellow-crowned night herons.  We'll never know what's out there, unless all
of us take a careful look, even in the least promising places.

Margaret Bowman

Licking Co., OH