OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:37:09 -0400
Hello from Fremont, Ohio. A pair of Red-bellied Woodpeckers, for years,
have begun nesting in my neighbors huge oak tree, but have always been
driven out by Starlings. They disappear somewhere, but still come to my
backyard feeders. Now, for the first time, they come to the feeder with a
young one! Neat seeing both male and female, plus one young one perched on
our platform feeder. The baby is the size of the parents but has no
pinkish-red head markings yet. They eat select seeds and the parents take
chunks of suet and shove it into the baby's mouth. May be other young RB
Woodpeckers, but only see one at a time. Also, the Red-breasted Nuthatches
have disappeared for several weeks; haven't seem them. I followed them to
the thick conifers in my neighbors yard, but never saw them nesting. Three
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds visiting our front porch hangind sugar-water
feeder; two females and one male. Planted three rows of Red Salvia, and
they hit each flower before hitting the sugar water.

Lost a good hiking bud last month...see attachment. Robert in Fremont