OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Jeremiah Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremiah Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:11:56 -0400
I went to Towners Woods today 6/17 (side note my birthday).
I found the all the bird species which Mr. Bennett posted a day ago.
Towner Woods is located on Co. Rd. 145 and Co. Rd. 154 Sec. 53, Franklin
Twp.
Weather conditions, overcast with a little/ mist rain, winds 10-15 mph
from the NW., temp. 60s.

Birds observed:
Prothonotary Warbler out on the first peninsula (behind the Indain mount)
was working the upper branches and canopy of the pines.  Had to listen for
the call, then the individual showed itself.
Northern Cardinal
Blackcapped Chickadee(m&f) ( had a nest just above the water on Lake
Pippen, had young in the nest).
Tufted Titmouse (m&f, feeding there young near the water and up into
forest surrounding the lake), (I watch them feed there young for several
minutes)
Heard American Robins in the woods
Field Sparrow along the gravel bike path
Song Sparrow
Catbird

No sighting but heard by call
great crested flycatcher
creeper
pileated woodpecker
pine warblers

The last bird seen today was a Wild Turkey near the picnic area back a
little ways down the path.  And this is a first for me, I was chased and
prey upon by the hen wild turkey.  She (individual) chased me for about
500ft away from her nest (I want to say it was nest).  There is more to
the story, and is definitely one for the books.

See you in the field,
Jeremiah W. Roth
Conservation Biology
Geographer (GIS)