OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:57:47 -0500
Columbus Birders:

I have received the following e-mail from my non-birding sister.  I am
trying hard to infect her with the birding bug, and she occasionally
calls or e-mails me about a bird she has seen.  We can usually figure it
out, but not this time.

Here is her description.  (You can tell I have been training her.)

*****

> My impressions of the unknown bird seen last night (June 17) by Scioto
> Country Club (Riverside Drive, Columbus, just north of Trabue):

> Location - over Scioto Country Club, just east of Scioto River.
> Habitat - old trees, grassy areas, near water, but also a major road
> with lots of traffic.

> Time - shortly before dusk.

> Note: I was driving southbound in traffic at approx. 45 MPH; bird was
> flying north and slightly east on the opposite side of the road -
> first sighted it approx. 200 yds. ahead.

> Initially thought it was a Great Blue Heron flying high, in part
> because of its grey coloring but mostly because of the way it flew
> (long, measured wingbeats.) Once it came closer, tho', I realized it
> was not flying nearly as high as I initially thought and was much
> smaller than a GBH (and was obviously NOT a GBH.)  Flew *above* trees,
> not gliding low. It was heading somewhere, not hunting, so didn't see
> any feeding behavior.

> Size - hard to estimate, but "hawk-sized" - 18-20"+/-?  Coloring (all
> seen from the underside) was med. grey to white, somewhat darker on
> head, leading edge and tips of wings, tail.  Wings were angled the way
> a swallow's do but not that sharply.  Tips of wings were more tapered
> than "fingered" the way a vulture's are.  Head was bullet-shaped.

> General impression - I would have said Northern Harrier based on color
> and shape, except wingtips were not that dark, and flight seemed too
> high for a harrier.  Pics I've seen of Mississippi kite look like a
> possibility.

*****

When she called me about this bird, I first thought Night-heron, but she
said it was more "raptor-ish," and she thought maybe a Harrier. I had
her check her field guide for Miss. Kite, and she thought that looked
like a good possibility.

So, is anybody seeing Mississippi Kites along the Scioto?  Any other
thoughts on this bird?

TIA,

~Kathi

Felicity, OH