OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:34:53 -0400
While in the yard last evening just before dark, I heard a Chestnut-sided Warbler singing.  It sang very softly only four times.  I eventually located the bird in a small Black Cherry on the edge of the woods.  Chestnut-sided is a regional rarity for my neck of Appalachia here in Jefferson County.  This is the first time that I have ever seen one in June here.  If you're Delorme savvy, I'm in block 63C6NW.

I was outside this morning at 5:30am in an attempt to relocate the bird and observe it for evidence of nesting.  My attempt failed.  The bird did not sing and could not be found.

While listening and looking for the Chestnut-sided Warbler, I wandered off into the woods to see who else was out on this chilly June morning.  Let me tell you, there's no feeling like standing in the middle of an Eastern Deciduous Forest at dawn in June.  The symphony of bird song and the birds' activity in the forest is astounding.  And when you add the songs to the smell and feel of the air, the lush foliage, and the feeling of the warming rays of sunlight that penetrate the canopy; you've got one heck of a fantastic feeling.  I really appreciate the fact that I can get that feeling simply by walking into the woods here in Ohio.  I also appreciate the fact that Ohio has so much woods to walk into.

There's also no feeling like seeing a Cerulean Warbler in that forest by tracking it down using only patience, perseverance, and the power of observation.  Just me, my binoculars, and the birds.  Nice.

I've been watching birds here in Jefferson County for about 16 or so years.  I have a feeling that Eastern Ohio (not just Jefferson Count) has a lot of surprises for birders who take the time to canvas the ridges and valleys.  I suspect that there are more Chestnut-sided Warblers and Common Ravens out there waiting to be found.  I've been fortunate enough to have made some neat discoveries here.  I had been hearing Purple Finches singing around the yard here for a few years and two weeks ago I finally saw an adult feeding a young...my first confirmation of Purple Finch nesting.  I also found pairs of Purple Finches in three other locations in Jefferson County.  Last summer I found a Blue Grosbeak on a reclaimed strip mine...probably a county record.  And speaking of reclaimed strip mines, my experience is that nearly every reclaimed mine has Henslow's Sparrows.  Almost every woods with a nice understory will have Kentucky and Hooded Warblers.  And there's always that chance that a birder might stumble across a Common Raven or three.

I'm not sure how many of Ohio's birders are out here in eastern Ohio and Jefferson County, but I encourage you to come out and spend a day or weekend poking around.  And I also ask that you submit your sightings to the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas.  If you look at the amount of data that's been collected for areas in Eastern Ohio you'll see that it is somewhat sparse compared to other parts of the state.  My region is page 63 and 73.  Look at the blocks that have data for those pages.  Most of the data has been collected by me.  I know of maybe four or five other people who have contributed to this area (and for these folks, I am very grateful).  My point here is that I need your help.  I hope there are more birders than what I realize here in Eastern Ohio.  I also hope that some of you from other parts of the state will visit us and spend a day or just a few hours exploring and unlocking the treasures that are hiding here.

Maybe some day I'll organize a block busting event, but for now I don't have the resources (mostly a place for you to sleep) to throw an event together.  What I will be happy to do however, is help you, direct you, and meet up with you, and go birding with you.  If anyone who reads this has any desire at all to bird Eastern Ohio and needs info, email me.  My only request is that you submit your data to the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas.  And just for the record, atlasing is the most exciting and most fun birding that I have ever done.

Sincerely,

Scott Albaugh