OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:47:20 -0400
Dear all--
        I've been out of state for a few days, but want to pass along some
sightings that seem not otherwise available.
        1. Columbus's yellow-crowned night heron nests host three young in one
nest and two in the other. This is fewer than usual; two eggs were
discovered smashed on the road a few weeks back. Three were seen in
Worthington in early May, and last weekend another was foraging in
Whetstone Park, not far from the old Overbrook Ravine nesting site (A.
Paschall, G. Buckey).
        2. Black rails were heard late in the day on 14 and 15 June at
Charlie's Pond in Pickaway Co. by 11 observers. The blue grosbeak nearby
at the county airport was seen by some (M&J Kraus).
        3. At least one Mississippi kite was observed by birder/golfers
at last summer's Hocking Co site on 18 June (A. Elberfeld).
        4. A singing male golden-winged warbler has been detected in Hocking
Co; observers will be trying to determine the circumstances.
        5. R&S Harlan reported a raven in Jefferson County, saying: "at about
5:15-20 p.m. in Jefferson Co. on Sunday, June 15.  It was along a public
road, but apparently on private property, in a large reclaimed surface
mine area along Jefferson Co. Rd. 45 (Pleasant Hill Rd. in the DeLorme,
page 63 A-6).  From Steubenville, go west on US 22 for 5 miles, then
north on OH 43 for about 2 miles to the giant Wal-Mart distribution
center on the right.  Co. Rd 45 is just past the distribution center,
also on the right.  We saw the raven about a half mile east of the
distribution center.  It flew in and landed on the road ahead of us, but
was immediately attacked by red-wings.  It then took off, flew past us,
and headed up towards the Wal-Mart.  It landed in various trees,
continued to be dive-bombed, and ultimately headed off to the north,
over a tree line, and out of sight." This could easily be a bird from
the nest discovered not too far away this spring.
        Finally, evidence (R. Krajeski) that a reddish egret continues to haunt
Conneaut Harbor is intriguing. This would be a first Ohio record,
although there are records from across Lake Erie in Ontario. Those
Canadians are always finding Florida birds before we do. Please keep us
all up to date on appearances of this rarity!
Bill Whan
Columbus