OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:48:31 EDT
This morning Judy Richardson and  I birded and surveyed for Prothonotary
Warblers in Areas M and N of the Hoover  Nature Preserve. The Prothonotaries were
active everywhere and many put on a  show worthy of an Emmy. We had almost 40
males singing on territory and numerous  pairs were observed coming and going
from their nest boxes. On several occasions  we sat down and enjoyed the show
as the proud parents went about their duties.  Today was the first time this
year that I observed adults removing fecal sacs  from the nest sites. I might
have found this activity last week but I was  sidelined by other commitments,
assisting with preschooler programs at the  Franklin County Metro Parks and the
Delaware County Preservation Parks. If you  can survive 100+ preschoolers
over three days there is nothing the nest box  trail can do to slow you down.
After a break for lunch Judy had other  commitments and I did a solo checking
Wiese Road where I added 4 additional  nest sites for the day.
Some of the species of interest  today included:
Double-crested Cormorants       (immature  the stay at Hoover Reservoir all
summer)
Wood Duck hens with  ducklings
Osprey             (at  the platform off the boardwalk at Area M)
Yellow-billed Cuckoos
Red-headed Woodpeckers
Acadian Flycatchers
Great Crested Flycatchers
Eastern Kingbirds
Warbling Vireos
Red-eyed Vireos
Cliff Swallows    (in excellent numbers  under most bridges at Hoover
Reservoir)
Wood Thrush
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler