OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:03:11 -0400
I was at Charlie's Pond with Bruce Simpson and Bill Kincaid this afternoon,
and heard the call first thought to be a yellow rail. Bruce was able to
contact Jim McCormac from the site, and Jim suggested that it was probably a
Cricket Frog.

When I got home I was able to find both the Yellow Rail and the Cricket Frog
calls on the internet, and what we heard was definitely the Cricket Frog.

The Black Rail was calling fairly often from its usual location on the south
side of the road, and at one point I was able to see it in the weeds from
about 15 feet. A few seconds later it flew from the area where I saw it,
across some water, and into more weeds perhaps 15 feet from the original
spot. I had been there several times, and this was my first glimpse of the
bird. It was calling much more than any time I was there before.

Gene Stauffer

Grove City