OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 01:02:45 -0400
I've stopped by Charlie's Pond (black rail site) a couple times in the past week and there were indeed Northern Cricket Frogs calling. No Yellow Rails, but N. Cricket Frogs are cool too, a declining species in Ohio and worth noting, I've had them at several places this past week in Vinton and Jackson Counties as well.

  Recently my bird counting has taken me to Hocking and Vinton Counties. Highlights of Hocking Co. were the many Black-throated Green Warblers and Hermit Thrushes on Territory in the numerous hemlock valleys of the area as well as territorial Whipoorwills and Barred Owl. We flushed some Roughed Grouse and also I heard a Northern Bobwhite. A local restaurant in the area called "the Grouse's Nest" is very much recommended if you find yourself birding in the area.

I found some decent birds in Vinton County as well, many of the same species mentioned in Bruce's post recently, as well as a singing male BLUE GROSBEAK near the town of Zaleski, (on chestnut street towards the Catholic cemetery) and a pair of them further south in a field that I don't remember the road name to right now, if anyone really wants to know I can look it up if you contact me off list. Yellow-billed Cuckoo's are a presence down there, I've had them on most of my point counts in the past week. Summer Tanagers can be found around Lake Alma State Park lake.

   Good Birding,

        - Ben Warner