OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 06:09:16 -0400
Its my understand that these lists are a combination of birding
enthusiasts "just" sharing sightings as well as information that is used
to support a larger purpose of scientific study, to help enhance
statistical data, and information used to get a general sense of "how
things are going"
for the birds.
I think from a conservation stand point it would be good to note when
something heard
is in response to tapes.  It would also be good to note to the list
when anyone is out looking or listening for a bird
and sees others using tapes.
Personally I think tapes can be disruptive.  Birds need to be
feeding, finding mates and nesting, not getting all wound up and
distracted, using
valuable energy and time by the repeated calls of tapes.
  Others disagree.  Many with a "oh its fine, it doesn't hurt
anything" Convenient but neither point can be proven.

With the constant push to make "Birding" a bigger and more populated
pastime and hence more people chasing birds, larger urban areas,
smaller natural areas I think we all agree that many birds are under
pressure.
It needs to be reported if more people equal more people playing
tapes and
becoming additional pressure (whether anyone agrees or not it is
pressure now).

Marie, Fairborn OH