OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Jeremiah Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremiah Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:27:11 -0400
For my summer ecology course I am taking at KSU an assignment we had to do
was to conduct a ecological observation of two habitat and communities,(I
am not going give the details of the assignment), but some birds whither
noting;

American Crows (5+),
Tree Swallow
Black-capped Chichadee(2+, heard more calling and singing, then seen)
Northern Cardinal
Field Sparrow
Baltimore Oriole(3)
Common Grackle
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Turkey Vulture

O'Neil Woods Serving Summit Co. MetroParks is located in Bath Twp, off of
Ira Rd, W Bath Rd.  I like this park because of the rough terran and
upland communities (mixed mesophytic woods with some nice plants).  The
dense forest is full of life birds and plants just watch out for trail
systems.
To note for the assignment we had to choose one species and watch it for
15 minutes and what it did in those 15 mins.  The Baltimore Oriole i
choose to observe for those 15 mins, I watched it forage high in the
canopy of white ash trees.  Once the 15 mins was up the bird took off down
to another section of the late succession field community I was in. I
heard 3 Oriole call but only watch the one.

After O'Neil I spent the rest of the day at Kendall in CVNP, all day I
heard and watch the winter wren, brown thrush, and hermit thrush, KY
warbler work the edges of the parking lot and the edge of woods facing E
off the building.
It was a great day to spend down in the valley for birding and I cought up
on my course work.

See you in the field,
 Jeremiah W. Roth
Conservation Biology