OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 16:41:04 -0700
Today Jeanne Hrenko and I decided to meet at Chagrin River Park in Lake County to go birding (Lost Nation Rd & Rte 2) (11am-330pm) After awhile we went to the landfill hill walking from the south end towards the north end (walking towards Rural parking area)  Around 12:45pm I saw a sparrow like bird fly up from the gravel/dirt path with a lot of white on its tail.  It then landed right on the path again.  I could see it was a LARK SPARROW when I got my binoculars on it.  It finally flew off after a short time when two women on horses came by.  Then I returned to the same area a short time later and it returned shortly after I arrived.  Then we both returned a third time and it came back to the same area after we arrived.  Closer to the north end.  It was not very timid and it let us watch and slowly followup it.  It stayed most of the time on on near the gravel/dirt path.  It would sometimes twitch its rear wings and sometimes it looked like it walked
 like a chicken the way it walks.  The back of the bird was so pale against the rich bold cherry brown head patterns. It was a slender bird like a Pipit with a long tail. It stayed over 15 mins and then flew off and we could see the white feathers on the sides of the tail.  BLURRY/GRAINY PICTURES Flickr website below)

Also seen on the landfill hill: many Savannah Sparrows (more calling than seen) pair of Bobolinks chasing each other, one Eastern Meadowlark.

Also seen in the park were many Orchard Orioles - three different places saw one pair mating, also three babies - 4 males, 3 females
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 m
Spotted Sandpiper 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/
Nancy Anderson