OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:20:00 -0400
Just for variety's sake, some news from beyond the back yard feeders.
Rob and Sandy Harlan had some good birding yesterday in Sandusky County,
among the flooded areas in the Bellevue area. Here's Rob's report:
        "Yesterday afternoon (June 22) Sandy and I found two Black-necked
Stilts in York Township, in far southeastern Sandusky County, in one of
the flooded agricultural fields west of Bellevue (DeLorme p38, B2).  We
saw them from about 3:45-4:15 p.m., when a train rumbled down the tracks
bisecting the field, and scared them off into a portion of the area not
visible from the road.
        The stilts were along Riddle Road (or TR 292), north of the tracks, and
south of Gardner Road (TR 191).  Another half of the flooded area is
visible along TR 292 south of the tracks, but as the road is inundated,
this portion is only visible if you drive "around the block" and come up
from the south from Seneca County Line Road.
        When we saw them, the stilts were along the embankment of the tracks
towards the western end of the visible water.  This is a big body of
water, and they were fairly far off (scopes needed), but they may decide
to remain.  They were hanging around together, but we saw no obvious
evidence of potential nesting.
        A male Bufflehead remains in the flooded area south of the tracks.
Other rarities found yesterday in other flooded Bellevue-area fields
were Black Tern (1), Wilson's Phalarope (1 female), Green-winged Teal (4
males), Ruddy Duck (over 20), Lesser Yellowlegs (1) , Caspian Tern (4),
and Redhead (1 male).  Numerous American Coots and Pied-billed Grebes
are at various sites. No sign of the Eared Grebe(s) which had been seen
earlier this month."
        The waterfowl and shorebirds are a local phenomenon this summer. The
stilts seem to be part of a larger thing, with pairs seen earlier here
in Marion and Hardin Cos, and just over the line in Michigan's Pte.
Mouillee.
Bill Whan
Columbus