OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:40:52 EDT
After completing my "To Do" list this morning I was able to get to the
preserve to do some follow-up monitoring at Oxbow Road, Wiese Road and the
boardwalk at Area M. Things are progressing with the Prothonotary Warbler nests  as
signs of hatchlings being fed are becoming more common every day. It seems
that the breeding cycle has accelerated a little each year. Global warming?

At Oxbow Road we checked 9 Prothonotary Warbler pairs that we could get to
and we heard several other males singing from areas we could not access due to
the high water level. Other species at Oxbow that exhibited signs of  nesting
included Brown Thrasher, Baltimore Oriole, Gray Catbird, Tree Swallow,  Wood
Duck, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, House Wren, Downy Woodpecker.
Northern Flicker, Warbling Vireo and Great Crested Flycatcher.

At Wiese Road we checked 4 Prothonotary Warbler pairs. No boots so our
coverage was limited. The open space created when the power company massacred  the
flora along the easement has had little upside. There are more edge birds to
be seen but they seem a poor trade for the White-eyed Vireos, Yellow-billed
Cuckoos, Wood Thrush, Indigo Buntings that are absent this year. There are
Yellow Warblers and Field Sparrows which are okay, but the Brown-headed Cowbirds
and other predators now have an easier time getting to the nests. We did find
 one bright spot though, a pair of nesting Yellow-throated Warblers nesting
on  the water side of the old roadbed in a stand of Sycamore trees.

We made a final quick stop at the boardwalk in Area M to check the status  of
the Osprey at the platform. As we were walking back along the boardwalk to
the car we were greeted by a beautifully hued male Prothonotary Warbler that
came right to the boardwalk. He obviously knew the camera was in the car.

The other positive note was meeting a local resident that was carrying a  bag
and picking up litter. He said he greatly enjoyed walking at the preserve
and thought he would do his small part to keep it attractive. I expressed our
great appreciation for his help.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve