OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:55:51 -0400
John Switzer and I headed down to the Brass Ring Golf Course this afternoon,
and were rewarded with stunning views of an adult male Mississippi Kite.  We
watched the bird for about 4 minutes while it perched in the large tree that
is along the fence line near the gated service drive into the golf course,
right over where I had parked my car, and about 30 yards from where we
stood.    We didn't see it fly in, but I noticed it when it whistled. It
preened a bit, watched us for a few minutes, then flew off over the golf
course.

It was a life bird for John, his 40th this year, and by far the best view
I've ever had of the species.

A groundskeeper asked us about the increase in the number of Bald Eagles in
Southeast Ohio, and told us that eagles were nesting behind the Burger King
in Logan.  We decided to check it out, but did not see any eagles there.  We
scoped a dark shape in a large deciduous tree along the Hocking River, but
couldn't tell through the leaves whether it was the nest.

Heather Nagy

Licking County