OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:27:53 -0500

Date:    Tue, 24 Jun 2008 07:20:41 -0400
 From:    Sarah Milliron <[log in to unmask] >
Subject: Re: Dead Sparrows in your backyard

>> Chipmunks eat bird brains.  They look all cute and cuddly but don't
>> be
fooled, they are bird killers!!

Sarah Milliron
Albany, Ohio
Date:    Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:29:13 -0400
 From:    Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Predation

>> Someone mentioned chipmunks as bird killers - that was news.    I'm
not saying its not true but I've been overrun
with chipmunks around an active bird feeder and never seen it.  I'm
just not sure how they'd do it.  Like raid nests?
So....could it be regional?  A learned behavior?

The May/June issue of "Bird Watcher's Digest" has an article by Connie
Toops about chipmunks predating on songbirds.  They bite at the base of
the skull and eat the flesh.  There were several reports from NH, MD,
Mass, etc., and the prey ranged from goldfinches to ovenbirds to bank
swallows to black-throated blue warblers.  Some were nest predators,
some took advantage of stunned birds that were window strikes.  Very
interesting stuff.

~Kathi

Felicity
SW Ohio