OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:56:42 -0400
I've been talking with Troy Shively, who was at the site of the reported
burrowing owl this morning sometime after 7 am. As of now, it has not
been seen by him or several other observers. Local folks say it
repeatedly flushes from its culvert spot when cars pass, then returns.
The culverts are easy to survey, and were all empty this morning. Locals
also say 11 am--for some reason--has been the most reliable time to find
this bird, so Troy will be sticking around for a while; a Cincinnati
birder is on the spot now as well, and will let us know if it's found.
This bird seems unusually spooky, so quiet and stealth seem called for.
Needless to say, observers should obey requests they NOT trespass into
agricultural fields here.
        If accepted, this would be Ohio's fourth record of this species. A
specimen exists at BGSU of one collected in 1962 in Wood Co, and the
most recent record came from Ottawa Co in 1981, also from a culvert,
which apparently relieved the bird from the necessity to do any actual
burrowing. I'll be around today and will pass along any news I hear.
Just got a call from Ben Warner, who should be on site in a couple of
hours, and will call if any results.
Bill Whan
Columbus