OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:02:12 EDT
Hobart Urban Nature Preserve is located in a very nice residential area  of
Troy, Ohio, and is an interesting place to bird.  It consists  mainly of
grasslands on the west edge of Troy, Ohio, about 200 yds. from I-75 as  the
dickcissel flies.  Mary and John Carner, Carol Wasch, and Kurt Stein  joined us this
morning at 8 a.m.  Dickcissels were everywhere--at least a  dozen singing males
plus an equal amount of grasshopper sparrows.   Grasslands have not been
mowed and wide walking paths make it very  appealing.  Sure hope whoever's in
charge keeps it that way.  Other  sightings included:

Baltimore oriole
Orchard oriole
Song sparrow
Indigo bunting
Yellow warbler
Field sparrow
Goldfinch
Red-winged blackbird
Tree swallow
Rough-winged swallow
Common yellowthroat
Field sparrow
Warbling vireo
Cedar waxwing
Mourning dove
American robin
Northern cardinal
House sparrow
Mallard
European starling
House wren
Carolina wren
Great blue heron
Turkey vulture
Common grackle
Chimney swift

Still didn't get enough birding so by 10  a.m. we decided to head  to
Greenville to search for the burrowing owl.  Directions given by Robb  Clifford were
very good except Springhill Rd. is a looong way outside of  Greenville off of
502.  We left at 1 p.m. and no one had seen the owl  as of then.  But the
great disappointment was saved by a lovely lunch at  the Montage Cafe in
Greenville.

Ed and Bev Neubauer
Englewood, Ohio