OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:31:12 -0400
For those of who are interested...the Burrowing Owl is located in
Atlas Block 54D1NE.  THIS IS AN OBBA2 PRIORITY BLOCK so for those of
you making the trek out to see this amazing raptor, please consider
adding some valuable Atlas data to this region of Ohio that is in
desperate need of more Atlas coverage.  In addition, there are other
nearby priority blocks with ZERO data and I can help point anyone in
the right direction if needed.

This link has the list of species recorded in the "Burrowing Owl
Block" during the first Atlas.  Interesting species include VEERY,
PROTHONOTARY & KENTUCKY WARBLERS.  Might there be a Bell's Vireo
lurking nearby?

http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?cmd=viewSpecies&locID=L316685&editionID=ATLAS_OH_1982

I'll be interested to see what other Atlas observations come out of
this new Ohio chase species.  Similar to the Circleville Black Rail
phenomenon, I'm confident that the current list of 31 species in the
Burrowing Owl Block could approach 70 without much effort.

Good birding!

--
Aaron Boone
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II