OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:22:20 -0400
It absolutely stuns me that anyone would gather a group in a "field
walk" in attempt to flush the burrowing owl.

Whether the owl was there or not, it had been well seen from certain
venues and if it wanted to be seen, probably could have been seen.  As
birders, it seems to me that resource protection, not "another notch on
our pistol handle" should be our first aim.  Did anyone think that
tramping through a field with 20 people might PERMANENTLY flush the bird?

If there were a black rail at Magee Marsh would a "field walk" be
organized to flush the bird? Or are the ethics different because this is
on private property?  What about the well-being of the bird?  What in
the world happened to birding ethics?

Good grief.

Kindly flame me off-list, This doesn't need to generate a firestorm.

Bob Hinkle
Chief Naturalist, Cleveland Metroparks