OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:42:50 -0400
More on bird taxonomy; this is pretty long, so delete if not interested...

Steve brings up the point, quoted below, that many of the results cited
in this Science paper are quite different from the Sibley and Alquist
tome from 1990.  This is certainly true, and there are several reasons
for this:

1) Sibley and Alquist used the DNA-DNA hybridization method.  This
whole-genome approach is now mostly discredited, and many of its results
have been discarded, particularly in the realm of bird taxonomy.  There
are several problems with this method including the way that they
incompletely compared all of the birds that they sampled.  There are
also problems in that differences among birds are not additive - the
difference between a chickadee and a nuthatch versus a nuthatch and a
creeper does not tell you what the difference between a chickadee and a
creeper will be.  And hybridizing a chickadee genome in the lab to a
warbler might give you a different DNA-similarity value than hybridizing
a warbler to that same chickadee.  E-mail me if you want more
information on this, as this gets pretty esoteric really quickly...

2) Resolving how the major groups of birds are related to each other is
a persistent problem because the Neoaves (that is, all birds except for
ratites, tinamous, chickenlike birds, and ducks and their relatives)
seem to have diversified very quickly.  This means that a lot of the
current taxonomic Orders of birds first appeared around the same time,
so there was not much time for DNA differences among those groups to
accumulate, and there has been a lot of time for those DNA differences
to be wiped out by more recent evolutionary changes.

The Hackett et al. paper is very important, and it confirms some
important associations (like grebes and flamingos as close relatives, as
well as Kagu and Sunbittern as close relatives), but it is not the final
word on how all birds are related to each other.  They point this out in
their paper; oddballs like Hoatzin are still difficult to pin down.

As scientists collect more and more genetic data, they are finding out
that each gene may be biased in certain ways in certain birds, so no one
gene is adequate for these studies.  By studying 19 genes, they were
able to look out how and why each gene differed and look for consensus
among the genes (the genes occur on 15 different chromosomes and have
wildly differing functions in the birds).  Nineteen genes in one
phylogeny paper is a very large number - previous papers have used just
one to five, typically.

Parrots and falcons as close relatives has been suggested a few times,
and the notion that falcons are not closely related to other day-active
raptors has some momentum (data from other labs has suggested that
falcons and owls are perhaps more closely related).  The truly shocking
result is that the closest living relative to the songbirds is the
parrots.  This is a novel suggestion and one that a lot of people are
finding hard to accept.

How does this relate to Ohio birds?  Only peripherally, but this is the
sort of thing that makes birds hop around to different parts of the
field guide.  Results like this are responsible for moving the loons and
grebes out of the front of the field guides and replacing them with the
gallinaceous (grouse, quail, and such) and ducks, geese, and swans.
More changes will be coming; DNA, morphology, song, and other data are
being collected at a tremendous pace on all aspects of bird taxonomy.

If you are curious what changes are being considered right now for North
and Central America, you can track the proposals under consideration by
the American Ornithologists' Union (AOU):

http://www.aou.org/committees/nacc/proposals/pending.php3

The biggest change under consideration that will affect Ohio birds is a
tanager-cardinal rearrangement, moving Scarlet and Summer Tanagers into
the Cardinal family.  European Starling might become Common Starling.
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow may become Nelson's Sparrow.

Results of the Science paper by Hackett and others will certainly be
considered by AOU in the near future.

Andy

--
Andy Jones, Ph.D.
William A. and Nancy R. Klamm Endowed Chair of Ornithology