OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Keith Tarvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Tarvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:30:06 -0400
Thanks to Bill and Steve for getting this very interesting discussion
going, and to Andy, Bob, and Bob for clarifying some of the issues. I
think the Hackett et al. paper is very exciting. The passerines have to
be related to something, after all, and there haven't been any good
candidates 'til now.

But I'm writing for more of a "fun" take on the falcon-parrot issue. I
used to do a lot of field work in the mallee scrub forest in southern
Australia. On several occasions, the many songbirds that were flitting
and chirping and singing around us would very abruptly shut up and dive
for cover. Within a fraction of a second, one or a few Mallee
Ring-necked parrots would fly by, and within another fraction of a
second, the little birds would resume their flitting, chirping, and
singing as if nothing had happened, and this even when the parrots
landed nearby. Had I been at home, I would have thought a Cooper's Hawk
had flown through. The upshot is, if you get a chance to see a parrot
fly by, especially one with a long tail, squint your eyes for a moment
and think 'falcon'. You may, like I was, be surprised at the general
morphological similarity (big head, stubby downcurved bill, pointy
wings, fast flight, narrow tail) between some parrots and falcons!

Keith Tarvin (Oberlin)