OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:36:57 -0700
  Greetings---an imm/female COMMON MERGANSER flew by me today at the State Rd. covered bridge at Conneaut Creek in Monroe Twp. (Ashtabula Co.).  The first southbound shorebird of the season at Conneaut Harbor was a lesser yellowlegs headed SW this morning.  Jean Irons from Akamiski Island in James Bay had that one called.  Also at Conneaut were 16 imm. Bonaparte's gulls, Caspian tern, 6 imm. bald eagles scrapping over a fish, 4 singing marsh wrens, purple martins, numerous bank swallows, willow flycatcher, and brown thrasher.  Shorebird habitat is real good there now.  I took a quick look for the loggerhead shrike in Conneaut Twp. but didn't see it.  There are plenty of other good breeding birds in that block though.  Later, Craig