OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:17:11 EDT
Today I enjoyed the company of Steve and Andi Wolfe at the Hoover Nature
Preserve. The weather looked ominous early in the morning, but other than cloudy
skies and  a few early wind gusts it cooperated by not raining and
occasionally even gave us sunshine. What sunshine we didn’t get from the  weatherman
was provided by the birds.  It was a morning of who wants to  show off their
fledglings first and best. Some of the species we observed with  their broods
were Canada Geese, Wood Duck, Mallard, Osprey, Red-headed  Woodpecker, Downy
Woodpecker, Carolina Wren, Northern Parula, Yellow-throated  Warbler, Prothonotary
Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, and Baltimore Oriole. At  one location we had
the choice to watch Northern Parula, Prothonotary Warbler or  Louisiana
Waterthrush, at times in the same bush. A good nickname for the spot  would be the
nursery as there were fledglings everywhere at once. Obviously all  of us were
pure smiles.

The preserve served up new surprises for me again today. Earlier in the  week
I discovered nesting  Yellow-throated Warblers at Wiese Road, an area  that
borders the reservoir. They were at a stand of sycamore trees at the  water’s
edge, whereas all the other nesting Yellow-throated Warblers I have  located
have been along the banks of Big Walnut Creek, Little Walnut Creek or a  similar
habitat associated with a creek or brook. Today I discovered  Black-and-white
Warblers at Wiese Road. This is the first time I have found  Black-and-white
Warblers at the preserve outside the spring or fall migrations.

Species observed or [heard only] today include:
Great Blue  Heron
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose